The Abia State House of Assembly presided over by the Speaker, Rt Hon Chinedum Enyinnaya Orji commenced today’s plenary by adopting the Votes and Proceedings of Wednesday, 8th July, 2020.
The Speaker read a Letter from Hon Nnamdi Allen, The Lawmaker representing Osisioma Ngwa South State Constituency, notifying the Abia State House of Assembly of the death of his father, Late Chief Allen Nwachukwu.
The House observed a minute silence for the departed PDP chieftain.
The Chairman of the Abia State House of Assembly Committee on Public Petitions, Hon Barr Emeka Okoroafor, brought three Petitions:
(1) From Ohiya Nsukwe Mechanic Spare Parts Market over the unlawful attempt to Revoked allocated Shops
(2) Emmanuel Papauzo Secretary of Ohiya Nsukwe Mechanic Spare Parts in Umuahia on the refusal of the developer to hand over the Certificate of Occupancy of the Shops as agreed during the Realization of Ohiya Market.
(4) Nunya Cooperative Union in Isikwuato Local Government Area against their Eze on the unlawful attempt to sale the community land.
NOTICE OF PRESENTATION OF BILL
(1) H.A.B 21: Abians in the Diaspora Commission Bill, 2020(A Bill for a Law to Establish Abians in the Diaspora Commission and for other related matters incident thereto sponsored by Hon Mike Ukoha
The House passed the Bill into First Reading
The House entertained a Motion from the Lawmaker representing Arochukwu State Constituency, Hon Dr Mike Ukoha, titled: H.A.M7: MOTION ON THE NEED TO COMMENCE PALLIATIVE WORKS ON UBURU IHECHIOWA AROCHUKWU LINK ROAD
Whereas road is an essential infrastructure to the people;
Whereas the society cannot function without good and quality road network;
Whereas it is expedient to bring to your attention, the deplorable condition of Uburu Ihechiowq – Arochukwu Link Road iin Arochukwu LGA;
Whereas the road has become so bad and almost cutting off into two due to excessive rain fall;
Whereas the road has numerous deep gullies, both at the centre and sides, and have limited the usage areas;
Whereas the Uburu Ihechiowa – Arochukwu Link Road is an important and alternative route to the people of Arochukwu Ihechiowa and Ututu, all in Arochukwu LGA;
Whereas it is the shortest route to the famous Uburu Market and serves as an access road to peoples farm lands and businesses;
Whereas the economic Importance of the road is enormous, and
Whereas if not attended to urgently, it will cause an untold hardship on the people of Arochukwu, Ihechiowa and Ututu communities;
(1) That the Honourable House call the attention of the Honourable Commissioner for Works to use his good offices to access the Funds in the budget so as to commence Palliative work on the road.
(2) That Since Erosion is one of the major problems, it would be necessary for this Honourable House to mandate NEWMAP to assist in providing engineering solutions in order to sustain the expected palliative works which the Ministry of Works will embark on.
After contributions by Lawmakers, the House made the following Resolutions:
(1) The House resolved to call on the General Manager of ABROMA to use his office to commence palliative works on that road.
(2) The House mandated its committee on NEWMAP to interface with NEWMAP in a bid to find a solution to the bad state of the road.
(3) To summon the General Manager of ABROMA to appear before the House on 20th July, 2020 by 10am.
The Lawmaker representing Ikwuano State Constituency, Hon Stanley Nwabuisi, brought a Motion on THE NEED TO INCLUDE IKWUANO LGA ON THE RECENT AWARD OF ROAD CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS IN CERTAIN LGA’s of ABIA BY THE STATE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL
Whereas on the 23rd of June, 2020, the State Executive Council met and approved the award of 19 road construction projects across the State;
Whereas the House duly observes that the process and criteria for the specific selection of these road projects from the 2020 Appropriation Law is not clear;
Whereas Ikwuano LGA was not captured in the award of these road projects leading to mass outrage and condemnation of the Government by the people of Ikwuano because they feel highly marginalized, and
Whereas Ikwuano LGA is predominantly an agrarian community lacking basic infrastructure especially roads.
(1) That the House resolve to urge the Executive to include Ikwuano LGA in the ongoing road construction projects by providing funds for the execution of the already awarded projects in Ikwuano LGA.
(2) That the House resolve to Invite the Commissioners for Work, and Finance, to come and brief the house on how they intend to fund these projects in this COVID-19 period.
After series of debates and contributions by Lawmakers, the House resolved to Invite the Commissioner For work on a Future Legislative Day.