Following the results officially declared by NCDC, and made available to us via a statement from the Abia State Government, the executive committee has looked at the possible ramifications and implications of the results. While we express our disappointment at the handling of the index cases, we have come to the obvious decision to continue to make decisions in the best interest of our members and indeed all healthcare workers in FMC UMUAHIA.
In the light of the foregoing and while we continue to liaise with management on the way forward, we *STRONGLY ADVISE* our members as follows:
1. All resident doctors and house officers who had managed, or come in contact with the index cases (at Ludlow ward and ICU) are to proceed on self-isolation.
2. All residents and house officers who participated in the resuscitation of house officer we lost to unknown causes, must also proceed on self-isolation.
3. ALL MEMBERS ARE ADVISED TO STAY AWAY FROM THESE AREAS HENCEFORTH, PENDING ITS SHUTDOWN AND DECONTAMINATION BY MANAGEMENT.
4. OUR MEMBERS WORKING IN EMERGENCY AREA ARE TO ADOPT SKELETAL SERVICES. ALL MEMBERS IN THESE AREAS ARE TO INSIST ON FULL COMPLIMENT OF *PPE*
5. While at home or at work, we advise members to adopt other protocols as stipulated by professional bodies/experts (CDC, NCDC, FMOH)
6. Our prayer is that none of us develops symptoms. We will continue to monitor our members on self-isolation.
7. While we appreciate the deficiency in testing kits in the state, we will liase with management to push for *testing of ALL exposed cases/cluster sampling and testing* in this scenario.
We encourage all our members to be positive. This is not the time to panic! *This too will pass*. Let’s adhere strictly to extant protocols and basic precautions.
May God heal our land.